Centura Health has more experts in more places throughout the region. Start your health journey by finding the right one for you.
Choice is the first guiding principle of the CREATION Health Lifestyle and is the first step toward improving your well-being. Before we can achieve positive changes in any area of our lives, we must choose to do so. Conscious decision-making is key to experiencing the positive impact of good choices.
Every day, often numerous times a day, you exercise the power of choice. This sacred gift was given to us at Creation, and we want to use it wisely. It's one thing to have freedom of choice; it's another to know what to do with that freedom.
For starters, choice is hard-wired right into our brains. The frontal lobe of the brain gives us the ability to choose. It makes up 3.5% of the brain in a cat, 7% in dogs, 17% in chimps, and between 33% and 38% in humans.
The frontal lobe is where our judgment, reasoning, social norms, and long-term planning take place,
all of which contribute to making healthy, life-giving choices. Human reasoning and planning capabilities are more powerful and complex than those of other species, which allows for variable relationships in our decision making.
What is meant by the word "choice?" In the broadest sense, it means the option or ability to evaluate various courses of action and to select among them. Choice is the ability to exercise the power of our will. Everything we do is the result of making a choice. We often do things unconsciously, but we cannot avoid making choices. Even the choice to do nothing is still a choice.
As we seek to make right decisions, it's important that, as much as possible, not to let circumstances control all those decisions. Whatever is happening around us, or to us, we still can control even the smallest choices, such as how to spend $5.00 or five minutes. These choices, no matter how small they may seem, can positively impact our lives and the lives of those around us. More importantly, small choices accumulated over the years may result in big differences in the future.
It is important that our actions remain consistent with our will, our beliefs, and our goals. The gift of choice comes with responsibility. We must exercise wisdom in our choices because they will ultimately determine the course of our lives.
CREATION Health is a faith-based health and wellness program that takes a holistic approach to mental, physical, and spiritual well-being. Transform your life with God's prescription for wellness and live life to the fullest.
1. Fuster J. The Prefrontal Cortex, Anatomy, Physiology, and Neuropsychology of the Frontal Lobe. 2nd edition. New York: Raven Press, 1989, 3-9, 125.
2. Stuss D, Benson D. The frontal lobes. New York: Raven Press, 1986, 243.
3. Price B, Daffner K, et al. "The compartmental learning disabilities of early frontal lobe damage. Brain October, 1990, 113: 1383-1393.
4. Hawkins K, Trobst K. "Frontal lobe dysfunction and aggression: Conceptual issues and research findings" Aggression and Violent Behavior 2000 5(2): 147-157.
5. Fuster J. "The prefrontal cortex, anatomy, physiology, and neuropsychology of the frontal lobe" 2nd edition. New York: Raven Press, 1989, 139.
Our search tools require a zip code to match the location nearest you.